Monday, May 12, 2014

"School of Dialogue" Program School Visit- Grojec

Submitted by Michelle Phillips
 
Wow! What an amazing day! I had no idea how much I needed the gift of hope that youth can give. These students are brave, smart and caring human beings. I loved hearing how much they have learned about the history of their communities.

> Both the group from Facing History and the students started the day with nervous excitement. The ice was quickly broken with a fun and energetic name game this was followed by a discussion line conversation. The students had a chance to practice their English, we were blatantly ignorant in Polish

The community of Grojec has 20 thousand people. The story of the Jews is painful and tragic. In 1808, over half of Grojec population was Jewish . A few decades later Jews made up 71% of all inhabitants and, in 1939, 5190 people were Jewish. The students reported that today no Jewish families live in Grojec. These students are eager to uncover the history and create dialogue with the community members. I hope to carry their spirit with me as I continue my journey through Poland.


 

 Rafael, Student (age 16) talks about his Forum for Dialogue project.

 
Karolina, Forum for Dialogue educator talks about her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!