Monday, May 19, 2014

Wieliczka Salt Mine & Final Dinner

Submitted by Anne- Marie Fitzgerald


Our Last Evening Together

As we gathered on our final evening together in Poland in a the Wielicza Salt Mine – somewhat of an iconoclastic setting to all that we had been experiencing over the previous 10 days -- we continued to talk amongst ourselves to understand what each of us had experienced both individually and as a group. We discussed what these experiences would mean for us once we were home, in our routines and how those routines might be interrupted/adapted to accommodate that learning, and most importantly the shifts that our own personal narratives had taken. 

Marc asked those of us who wanted to share our reflections with the group and as so many of us did, heads around the room nodded in agreement and understanding.  The thoughts below capture just some of our emotional and intellectual experiences.

“How often as adults do we get to work and learn together in such a substantive, deep and change provoking way.”

“I am personally grateful for the people that I was able to travel with on this journey and their care for me we traveled together.”

“The stories we have seen are beyond imagination and we all have known them in abstraction.  This trip brought the abstract to reality and so much for the better.

“There is so much time needed to process all that we have seen and learned and to understand how our own thoughts and beliefs have changed.”

“This was such a highly personal trip for me.  I was fearful of the challenge, but the group’s support helped me so much.  I feel as if I am taking the memories of those who died, home with me.”

“This experience will make us better ambassadors for the work of the organization – helping people to explore their own identities and the lessons of history.”

“Their memory could so easily be forgotten.  It makes me want to go back and fight for their memory.”

“I can’t imagine learning more in a week.”

“I am trying to figure out all that we have absorbed and how to be respectful of that new knowledge.”

“I am re-finding my own identity and challenging everything that I had thought about Poland by and large.  I am now a proud Polish Jew.”

“I wonder about what the work left to do is.”

And, finally and perhaps most importantly… “This deep experience is the beginning of something.”



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment!